By Gilbert Harman, Ernest Lepore
This spouse brings jointly a workforce of best figures in modern philosophy to supply an in-depth exposition and research of Quine’s wide effect throughout philosophy’s many subfields, highlighting the breadth of his paintings, and revealing his endured importance today.
- Provides an in-depth account and research of W.V.O. Quine’s contribution to American Philosophy, and his place as one of many past due twentieth-century’s such a lot influential analytic philosophers
- Brings jointly newly-commissioned essays by way of top figures inside modern philosophy
- Covers Quine’s paintings throughout philosophy of common sense, philosophy of language, ontology and metaphysics, epistemology, and more
- Explores his paintings relating to the origins of analytic philosophy in the US, and to the historical past of philosophy extra broadly
- Highlights the breadth of Quine’s paintings around the self-discipline, and demonstrates the ongoing effect of his paintings in the philosophical community
Read or Download A Companion to W. V. O. Quine PDF
Similar history & surveys books
Christianity all started as a little-known Jewish sect, yet rose inside three hundred years to dominate the civilized international. It owed its upward push partially to encouraged ethical management, but in addition to its good fortune in assimilating, criticizing and constructing the philosophies of the day. This e-book, that is written for nonspecialist readers, offers a concise conspectus of the emergence of philosophy one of the Greeks, an account of its continuance in early Christian instances, and its effect on early Christian idea, particularly in formulating the doctrines of the Trinity and the Incarnation.
This is often Philosophy: An advent bargains an engagingly written advent to philosophical suggestions that come with ethics, the lifestyles of God, unfastened will, own id, philosophy of brain, and epistemology. Conveys the buzz and significance of philosophy whereas explaining tricky options sincerely for the common undergraduate.
The Žižek Dictionary brings jointly best Žižek commentators from around the world--and Žižek himself--to current a significant other and advisor to Žižekian idea. all of the brief essays examines a search term, exploring its improvement throughout Žižek's paintings and the way it suits in with different recommendations and issues.
- Beyond Analytic Philosophy: Doing Justice to What We Know (Bradford Books)
- Some Thoughts Concerning Education
- Space from zeno to Einstein: classic readings with a contemporary commentary
- Deepening our Understanding of Wittgenstein
- Personhood, Ethics, and Animal Cognition: Situating Animals in Hare's Two Level Utilitarianism
Extra info for A Companion to W. V. O. Quine
8 But everyone has not yet accepted Quine’s criticism. Perhaps a majority of contemporary philosophers has not been persuaded by it. ”9 Quine’s main argument against analyticity is that it has no clear empirical content. 11 Most sentences do not have a determinate empirical content of their own. Hence, there is no objective criterion in terms of intersubjectively observable conditions for deciding whether or not a sentence is analytic – and the same is true of related notions like synonymy, meaning, and necessity.
Quine’s starting point is the observation that logic and mathematics are not completely freestanding disciplines but rather are deeply integrated with the rest of our knowledge. ” The nodes of the web represent individual beliefs, and the connections between nodes represent the logical relations between beliefs. ) Although there are important epistemic differences among the beliefs in the web, these differences are matters of degree as opposed to kind. From the perspective of the epistemologist, the most important dimension along which beliefs can vary is their centrality within the web: the centrality of a belief corresponds to how fundamental it is to our overall view of the world, or how deeply implicated it is with the rest of what we think.
But logic alone does not mandate some particular revision, as opposed to any number of others: there will inevitably be multiple ways in which the web of belief might be altered so as to render it consistent in the light of recent observation. Quine holds that typically, we seek to restore consistency in the web by giving up beliefs that are located nearer the periphery as opposed to beliefs that are more central – and that it is reasonable for us to proceed in this way. Notice that the position of a belief within the web need not correlate with how confident one is that it is true.