By Teun Hoekstra
This booklet comprises 14 articles by way of Teun Hoekstra (1953-1998) on center matters in syntactic thought. a few articles specialize in the constitution of DP, others at the constitution of the sentence as an entire, whereas others nonetheless deal explicitly with the parallels among the 2. The papers are allotted over 4 sections: "Argument structure", "T-chains", "The morphosyntax of verbal and nominal projections" and "Small clauses". greater than 1/2 the articles during this e-book are released right here for the 1st time or seem for the 1st time in English. Hoekstra's paintings is characterised through a basic curiosity within the crucial questions of syntactic idea, so much particularly the relation among argument constitution and X-bar constitution. This centred curiosity ended in a deep knowing of the proposal of transitivity, with admire to either the prestige of the exterior argument and that of the inner argument, the place "status" refers to either the content material and the licensing. during this choice of papers, Hoekstra experiences on his insights in those issues. so far as content material and licensing of the exterior argument is anxious, this assortment includes papers at the relation among passives and their lively opposite numbers, the parallels among possessives and transitives and the diversities and similarities among earlier participles and infinitives. As to the interior argument, we discover papers addressing sentential complementation, verbal affixation and resultatives. and there's a entire part on demanding, and its function in holding the sentence jointly. one of many papers during this assortment is Hoekstra's vintage, yet hitherto unpublished "Small clauses far and wide" (more than 70 pages), which summarizes Hoekstra's perspectives on such matters as resultatives, particle verbs and double item buildings.
Read or Download Arguments and Structure: Studies on the Architecture of the Sentence PDF
Best education books
This is often the fourth autonomous evaluate by way of the realm financial institution of the Aga Khan Rural help software (AKRSP) in northern Pakistan. This ebook assesses the advance consequence of either the Aga Khan Rural aid application because the program's initiation in 1982 in addition to the 5-year interval because the final assessment in 1995.
Should be shipped from US. Used books won't contain spouse fabrics, could have a few shelf put on, may well include highlighting/notes, won't comprise CDs or entry codes. a hundred% a reimbursement warrantly.
- Faulty Assumptions: Taking Custody of Your Classroom
- Crossing Borders in East Asian Higher Education
- Mathematik für Physiker 1: Basiswissen für das Grundstudium der Experimentalphysik
- How to Master Personality Questionnaires: And Discover Which Career is Best for You!
- Thinking Kids' Math, Grade 1
Extra info for Arguments and Structure: Studies on the Architecture of the Sentence
Next, Jackendoff and Culicover (1971: 402) formulate an obligatory rule of P-deletion 36 The indirect object: its status and place which deletes the preposition to the immediate right of the verb, but this rule applies only in the case of specific verbs (the rule is therefore lexically governed): (7) P- deletion X – V – P – Y > 1– 2 – ∅ – 4 1 2 3 4 Quite a few objections can be raised against this rule, but before I go into this, I will deal with Emonds’ proposal. Emonds also takes the order DO – IO, with the IO as PP, as basic (as in [2a]), and formulates a structure-preserving rule deriving (2b) from (2a).
7. A type of modality also occurs with HAVE in various languages, as in you have to do this and Dutch je hebt dat te doen. Although very interesting in itself, and certainly relevant to the issues dealt with in this paper, I have to refrain from discussing this type of modality. 8. I am grateful to Sjef Barbiers for discussion of these readings, even though my approach is radically different from his. 9. e. possibility). Actually, there are two nouns, mogelijkheid (possibility) and vermogen (capacity), where the second clearly involves the reflexive deontic modality, whereas the former involves epistemic modality, in 32 Possession and transitivity the sense we are using these terms.
NOM house-3SG b. az en haza-m the I house-1SG It seems more likely therefore that the agreement it triggered from this position, in a structure of the type in (65): (65) DP g D’ 3 D AgrP a 3 Spec Agr’ en 3 Agr NP -m g # N # haza z------m with head-raising of N to Agr (alternatively, the form hazam is inserted in fully inflected form, and checked in the Agr-position). We may then further assume that the nominative possessor in the examples in (34) remains silent, Hungarian being a pro-drop language.